11/06/2011

Prepare for Work

If you want to test your programming skills in C, there are some things that you probably already have installed, but it's worth repeating. So, here's what I usually use...

For Windows:


I am used to coding in Code Blocks, but I remember working in Turbo C 2.01, 5.x etc. I also used Bloodshed Dev-C++, I even tried MS Visual C++ Express, but I don't really like it. Sometimes I simply code in Notepad++, when I don't need to test my solution. Anyway, it's easier for you to have an integrated development environment, than to link, compile and debug everything manually.

However, the essential things to have are - you've already guessed - editor, linker and compiler (debugger is not so essential, but it is important). So, I guess if you don't want an IDE, you can download MinGW package and that should work just fine (after you install it properly; you can find all needed info at the previous link).

For Linux:


Actually, I am pretty sure that whatever version you use, you will probably have gcc installed, and you will maybe eventually need g++, so I think it's good idea to have both of them, just in case. Then, you can code in some basic text editor (on my Linux Mint there's gedit, I'm not sure about the others - I'm still Linux noob), and use command line to make your programs. So, your linker is ld, your compiler is gcc, your debugger is gdb, and if you type e.g.
ld --help
in your terminal, you can find out syntax for using ld.

I use Code Blocks on Linux too, and it works good for me so far. You don't have to worry about compiling and stuff, just write some proper code, click build and run and test your program.


For some more complicated projects, you will eventually have to install some additional libraries, but that's it for now. If you have any questions and think I can help, please tell me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have anything useful to say (ideas, suggestions, questions, business proposals, or just "Thank you!"), please feel free to comment! Also, you can use my e-mail and/or find me on Twitter!